Monday, October 17

Treasure Curiousity more than Certainty
















I spent this past weekend in Salt Lake City, Utah at a board meeting for Earth Care Connection, the non-profit I am so fortunate to be a part of. In this time of transition in my life, it is often difficult not to be discouraged. However, after sitting in a circle of women conservation leaders this weekend, I was rejuvenated and uplifted. I was also reminded about how important it is to be hopeful. I think too often in the past few months, I've been craving certainty. And in our lives, can we ever find certainty? EVER? I'm not convinced of that anymore. In fact, I am quite UNCERTAIN about ever being CERTAIN again.

However, this poem below was a revelation to me. I've heard it and meditated on it before. But am convinced that the line about curiousity and certainty will be my inner mantra for a while.

There is no power greater than a community discovering what it cares about.

Ask “What’s possible?” not “What’s wrong?”
Keep asking.

Notice what you care about.

Assume that many others share your dreams.

Be brave enough to start a conversation that matters.
Talk to people you know.
Talk to people you don’t know.
Talk to people you never talk to.

Be intrigued by the differences you hear.
Expect to be surprised.

Treasure curiosity more than certainty.

Invite in everybody who cares to work on what’s possible.
Acknowledge that everyone is an expert about something.
Know that creative solutions come from new connections.
Remember, you don’t fear people whose story you know.

Real listening always brings people together.
Trust that meaningful conversations can change your world.
Rely on human goodness.
Stay together.

Taken from:
Wheatley, Margaret J. 2002. Turning to One Another: Simple Conversations to Restore Hope to the Future. Berrett-Koehler: San Francisco. p. 145.

3 comments:

Duby said...

oh bex! Its Duby, oh how I miss thee. I found a picture of you the other day while "cleaning", made me miss good ole zeta-lamda and wonderful things like the water slide, that thing was the coolest! Not to mention mud wars!

So are you employeed by that non-profit you mentioned?

swtpmarie said...

That poem is something wonderful. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you had a good time in Utah and I'm glad I haven't heard any stories about you becoming married to a man with 6 wives and 53 children! Miss you.

katherine said...

thanks for sharing that, bex... it turns out to be quite relevant at that moment. talk to you later, love.